Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Totus Tuus in Columbia

On our way to Columbia, we hit some really bad weather. By God's grace, we made it safely. I was a nervous wreck in the car, though, because the weather was awful and my Katy wasn't there to hold my hand. The weekend was really hard without Katy; I realized just how much I depend on her for spiritual and emotional support. After spending a day and a half apart, we stayed up way too late getting caught up on each others' lives. A lot can happen in a couple of days! Being separated for a little while definitely made me all the more thankful that I get along with Katy so well. We really are a team, and it was so weird for the team to be incomplete. Now she's back, and we can get back to being a missionary team together!

The morning Totus Tuus program is usually for rising 1st-6th graders, but St. Catherine's didn't realize until it was too late that it's for kids starting 1st-6th grade in the fall instead of kids who just finished 1st-6th grade. When I usually teach my 1st and 2nd grade class, I have kids who are 6 and 7. My class this week has 7-year-olds and 8-year-olds because they just finished 1st and 2nd grade. It's not a problem at all; the kids are very sweet kids. I just didn't realize until this week how much more mature a group of 7 and 8 year olds is than a group of 6 and 7 year olds. I was slightly unprepared for teaching older kids, but I think I'm getting the hang of things.

I'm realizing how important it is for us missionaries to be flexible with how we teach the material in the curriculum. There simply is not a way for me to know how a class will go until the first day when I meet the kids. I am a planning freak, and I feel like God is asking me to use this necessary spontaneity to get me to rely on Him more and on myself less. Trusting that God will make everything work out can be so hard sometimes! Please pray for me and for my team. Pray that we can honestly say "Totus Tuus" to God and that we can totally give our hearts and lives over to Him!

God bless! Prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment