Sunday, June 5, 2011

Getting to Know You

We're finally starting to get past the awkward stage of first meeting each other. I feel so much more comfortable with being myself now, and that is truly relaxing. I've gotten to have a few one-on-one conversations with people, and it's been great. I'm actually really glad that I don't know who is on my team yet because I probably wouldn't spend much time with the other missionaries if I knew the three other people I'll be spending my summer with. At first, I felt drawn to a few people, and I was afraid that I would not be happy unless they were on my team. God has been so great in opening my heart, though, and I really could see myself working with pretty much all of the missionaries.


I'm beginning to find that training week is not only about giving us the knowledge we need for teaching the kids this summer; it is about getting our spiritual lives in shape for being missionaries. We have been praying the Liturgy of the Hours for morning prayer, evening prayer, and night prayer. I had a little bit of trouble navigating my breviary at first, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. We also are praying the rosary daily, going to mass daily, praying a holy hour daily, and praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily. Talk about spiritual exercise! It's been so wonderful. There is absolutely no way I could get through this summer as a Totus Tuus teacher without prayer and the grace of the Holy Spirit, so it's such a blessing to get to pray in advance for my weeks at parishes.


Going over the curriculum has been really exciting, too. We've only gone over the stuff for the middle schoolers and high schoolers so far, but it's so great! College students have made such an impact in my life while I was in high school by sharing their struggles and giving advice for getting closer to God, and I am so excited that I will be able to help others in that way.


Sleep is priceless so far, so that's all I can post now. More to come! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment