Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Last Week Before the Break!


We didn't have very much internet access in McEwen, so I apologize for not blogging more. The week was really great. The kids in my class totally stole my heart away. They asked such wonderful questions, and they really listened to what I taught them, especially about mass! The first and second grade curriculum includes a class all about mass every day of the program, and we have a mini mass kit that has miniatures of things like the chalice and paten, altar bells, etc. The kids love getting to pass everything around; I think the information sticks with them better because it's hands-on learning. When we walked into the church, my students got so excited to see the red candle lit by the tabernacle. One of them looked at me and said, "Look, Miss Emma! The candle is lit! Jesus is home!" When the altar servers rang the bells during the consecration, one of my students goes, "Oh, I need to pay attention! This is the most important part!" They also really enjoyed talking about remembering their baptism when they make the sign of the cross with holy water when entering a church. I mean, really, how could you not fall in love with little children genuinely enjoying the beauty of the Catholic Church?

All of my students this week were so extremely reverent during mass. All they needed was for someone to explain to them WHY we do certain things instead of just telling them to be quiet and go through the motions. Being able to teach kids about how sacred and beautiful the mass is has been one of the most rewarding parts of Totus Tuus. Children have such beautiful hearts overflowing with love, and I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to direct them on how to love Jesus through the mass.

The teen program went well this week, too. There weren't many people, but it was nice to have more of a casual conversation during small groups instead of a big discussion. I loved my small group girls, as always. I really want to visit all of these parishes again sometime before they all graduate so I can see how they're doing. Like I've said many times before, it's so hard to leave parishes at the end of the week. I feel like I'm leaving little bits of my heart in all these different places. I just hope that some seeds are being planted, and I'm praying that God will bless all of these wonderful teens with holy people who can be there for them in a long-term sense instead of just us being with them for a week. This is the point where I need to trust that God will take care of the people I love so I don't worry or stress about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment